What a year it has been. With so many great films, comes great scenes. We have all done a rundown of our top 5 scenes for the year.
As a heads up SPOILER WARNING as some scenes will feature key points from their respective films. You have been warned!
Here are our top 5 scenes of 2016:
1. This is My House – The Conjuring 2
This single, unbroken shot has become my joint favourite scene from a horror film ever, right next to the blood in a petri dish scene from The Thing. Your eye can’t help but flick between Patrick Wilson’s captivating acting, and the blurred outline of what you’re not quite seeing in the background. The lighting, sound design, and out of focus filming all help make this my personal best scene of the year.
2. Domergue’s Got a Secret – The Hateful Eight (WARNING extremely graphic)
This scene is tense, funny, has a full song, and features Kurt Russell accidentally smashing an antique guitar. Watching Jennifer Jason Leigh’s reaction when you know that only makes this sequence better, and anything that ends with Kurt Russell projectile vomiting blood while an almost comedic score plays has got to be worth something, right?
3. Language – Arrival
The clip I found wasn’t the scene I’m referring to, but anybody who has seen the film will know which moment I mean. To put it simply, this twist completely blew me away and made it so that the more I thought about the film, the better it became. Because of this moment (and the rest of the film), I can’t wait to watch it all over again.
4. The Sanctum Battle – Doctor Strange
This action sequence has everything a blockbuster needs. There is great hand to hand combat, innovative and realistic effects, high stakes, and a few laughs. The final battle in Doctor Strange might have been more visually spectacular, but nothing beats watching The Cloak of Levitation dive over some stairs and rescue our hero.
5. Bread Sale – Eye in the Sky
Again, I couldn’t find the exact scene I was looking for here, but anyone who’s seen this film will know which part I mean. Near the end, we watch a small girl selling bread, knowing that if she doesn’t get rid of it quickly enough, she’ll probably die. Thanks to things that happen earlier in the film, it was probably the tensest scene of the year.
1. Where to Invade Next – Italian Holidays
2. Bleed For This – Show Me How You Fight
3. Keanu – George Michael
4. Sausage Party – Eating Children
5. X-Men: Apocalypse – Jean Grey
1. Zootropolis (Zootopia) – The Sloths
2. Room – Saying Goodbye
3. Chi-raq – Life
4. Finding Dory – Hank Inks
5. Deadpool – End Credit Scene
1. My Plan Was Go Easy on Them… (Captain America: Civil War)
2. Beats and Shouting (Star Trek Beyond)
3. Can’t Help Falling in Love (The Conjuring 2)
4. Where is Francis?! (Deadpool)
5. The Battle of the Bastards (Game of Thrones, S6 Ep9)*
*Yes, not a film, but we simply couldn’t go on without mentioning what was easily the TV moment of the year!
1. Jack’s Escape – Room
2. SOS – High-Rise
3. You Are A Rabbi – Son of Saul
4. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun – Anomalisa
5. Putting the Funny in Funeral – Hunt for the Wilderpeople
There you have it. That’s our favourite scenes of the year. What were your favourite scenes of the year? Please share with us in the comments below.
Never Miss An Article
Join our mailing list and recieve an email as soon as there is a new article.